Thursday, October 18, 2012

When having to move your fish ... Do so gently.

If you're anything like a typical person with a typical life, you may find yourself having to move a few times within your lifespan. You'll also find that although you're excited about the new phase of your life whether it's your first apartment, living on your own with a few roommates or your first purchased home, it all comes with the price of a whole lot of stress. And even though this is an exciting time in your life, and you can't wait to get it all moving forward. The pressures of finding the "New Place" for your yourself and or your loved ones, will be tremendous, and at times that the stress of planning your move, setting up the movers, packing everything up (You never really know how much you truly own until you go through this process :/ ) finding new schools for your children, after school programs or where you're going to park, when the parking ban in is place because the snow season will be upon us (Us northerner's, plan this out early in the spring!) you'll soon find yourself overwhelmed and wishing you had a magic wand to get it all completed in time.

Do you feel like you've forgotten something? I know you keep looking at your list and checking everything off as you get them done including having your cable transferred to your new address, having your utilities shut off on the last day you'll be at the old address, and then calling your new providers for your utilities (gas/oil &  lights) to ensure you'll have them turned on in your new place, so you're not unloading in the dark and last but not least ensuring your mail will be forwarded to your new address, right? There's still something you else that you haven't made plans for, but can't put your finger on it? Hm, how about those beautiful fish you've got in your tank, have you thought of a way to transport them yet? No?? It's a job let me tell you, but it's nothing you can't handle and do for yourself.


I just so happened to have gone through this myself! Having to get everything done including having the utilities, turned off/on,  movers, schedules made, forwarding of our mail ... etc. And then it hit me! OMG our fish! What to do, what to do ... And then I figured I'd ensure their tank would be cleaned (Take advantage of this while you need to break down your tank anyway) and they would travel safely, and this is how I did it. We moved from MA. to CT. so there was only a little over an hour they would be out of their comfy environment, but still didn't want to take any chances, as I love our fish, as we love love our cat. We knew she'd be traveling up front with me, so we put her in her traveling cage and strapped her in. Of course there were some conversation from her, as she hated riding in the car. But you know, she was purr- fectly happy being my co-pilot and not making a sound throughout the trip :0) . 


First I started by siphoning off their water and bringing it down just a few inches (gallon or so) into each pail, giving me a little leeway to catch the fish without making a huge mess with the water every where. Then ever so carefully I took my biggest net and placed it my aquarium tank and just let it be still for a while, and let the fish get used to it being there. When they settled down I carefully aimed it towards my silver dollars which were bigger, and therefore an easier object to catch. When I caught the first one, I quickly but very carefully (can't stress this enough) put him in the pail I had the water siphoned into. See the trick here is to move them in the water they have been living in as it's at the perfect temperature, and has it's nitrifying bacteria already in it, which is a necessity when starting up your aquarium again to ensure your fish will remain healthy and as stress free as possible. (You know the saying "It's better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't?" Well it's stands true in this particular example with their water also.)


Once I had finished capturing my fish and putting them in buckets of water that I had siphoned off for them, I then went about with taking their water filter out ensuring NOT to clean their bio wheel (will help with nitrifying bacteria, and you usually only need one for the life span of your tank, unless it breaks or something.) but rinsing it it in their tank water. I did this with all the decorative items, larger stones, aquatic plants, (plastic) temperature gauge, thermostat and all plastic tubing used for extra bubbles for aeration or to make something open and close like a pirates chest. By this time most of all the aquarium tank water has been siphoned off into pails of water for you fish, so you can discard the rest down your drain. When I had all their sand taken out of their tank, I placed it in my old spaghetti strainer to let it drip while I cleaned their tank remembering to use their water to do so. I then took my first bucket of water and poured it 1/2 way up a gallon size zip loc, (I used a 2 cup measuring cup to do this) and very carefully caught my fish  that was still in a bucket, and carefully placed him in the bag. I made sure to leave plenty of air in the bag and sealed it up, remember "Yellow and Blue make Green" :)  I did this with each fish I had in a bucket. I then placed the fish that were in their sealed bags back into their aquarium tank and readied them for the ride to their new home. I also placed a towel over their bags of water, to protect them from the sun coming through the windows, and any drafts.


When I got to our new home in CT. the very first thing I did was to start setting up their aquarium tank. I started up their tank in the opposite way of taking it down. I first got their tank in a place where myself and my family could enjoy watching them, and it was out of direct sunlight. I then added their sand, all their decorations and their plants. I slowly started to add water (making sure to to use "start up" water conditioning after I hooked up their thermostat, and their filter. Once I had the water at the 3/4 mark, I carefully let them all float in their zip loc bags until they were accustomed to the water temperature. Once their acclimation was through, I slowly open their bags one by one as they were introduced to their newly cleaned environment water and all. I only had to treat  just the water (Stress Coat) that I had used from the kitchen faucet, so that I could finish filling up their tank.


It's been 3 weeks since our move, and I'm still living out of boxes. We're slowly getting things unpacked ... But I sure wish I had been one of my fish, they're all happy and comfy in their environment once again, and I'm still looking for my favorite frying pan.You know, the one that doesn't let everything stick to it.  Lol  ;)


Here's a few of the important items that I've mentioned above to help you, and where I purchase some of them
 myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment